The King's Daughters organization has a long and vibrant history of caring for children. This time line showcases the successes of The King's Daugthers and CHKD.
The Formative Years
1896 Norfolk's 14 Circles of The King's Daughters unite to form a City Union in order to combine their efforts to administer to the less fortunate.
1897 The King's Daughters hire their first director, Edith Nason, who serves as a visiting nurse for less fortunate families. She made 1,771 visits on foot that year.
1898 A small house on Bute Street is rented and furnished for The King's Daughters headquarters. A bicycle for the nurse and a Diet Kitchen are donated by contributors.
1901 The first King's Daughters Clinic opens on Charlotte Street.
1905 Eight years after they hire their first nurse, she makes 2,603 visits to families in one year.
The Clinic Years
1913 The first Baby Clinic is established at The King's Daughters headquarters on Duke Street.
1915 A Maternity Service is begun with a doctor and nurse dispatched to the homes of mothers in labor.
1916 After working out of various locations in downtown Norfolk, The King's Daughters purchase the residence at 300 W. York Street for NCUKD headquarters.
1919 A prominent Norfolk man, after showing his gambling winnings to his wife, a King’s Daughter, was quickly relieved of his ill-gotten $500 in cash. His wife proclaimed: “You know I don’t approve, but since you can’t give it back, you can give it to The King’s Daughters.” That is how the Visiting
Service got its first car, replacing bicycles nurses previously used
1922 The first King's Daughters Health Station opens in South Norfolk. Eventually, more than a dozen Health Stations are located in schools and churches throughout residential sections, teaching families proper child care and sanitation practices and administering vaccines to children.
1926 A third floor is added to headquarters on York Street and, in 1929, the adjoining property is donated to accommodate the next expansion.
1931 The King's Daughters' nurses made 41,301 visits this year.
1935 The Maternity Center opens, served by eight obstetricians and medical students from the University of Virginia. There are 605 patients registered this year.
1937 An X-ray machine is donated by two medical staff members.
1945 In spite of war shortages, strikes and delays in materials, the wards at the clinic are completely modernized and expanded.
A Hospital for Children
1954 The King's Daughters began planning to establish a children's hospital. A fund is established to aid in the financing of construction.
1957 Circle members register more than 2,000 volunteer hours in the Clinic and Health Stations.
1961 The King's Daughters Children's Hospital, the first hospital in Virginia dedicated to children, opens in April.
1962 Circles hold their first annual Holly Ball with proceeds to benefit the hospital. The Pediatric Residency program is established.
1964 Circle members register more than 10,000 volunteer hours and the KD Puppet is created. Members spend thousands of hours in mass production so every child can receive one of these puppets when entering the hospital.
1966 The Visiting Nurse Service is phased out. A pharmacy opens in the hospital.
1970 The name of the hospital is changed to Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters to reflect the focus on pediatrics.
1974 CHKD establishes a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and transport to bring high-risk newborns from hospitals in surrounding cities.
1976 The King's Daughters set out to raise $6.5 million toward the $14 million needed to expand Children's Hospital.
1979 The expanded Children's Hospital is dedicated and has 101,000 square feet of new space and 39,000 square feet in renovated space. It boasts specialized labs and diagnostic clinics and many new services for children.
1983 The first Holly Festival of Trees is held at the Cavalier on the Hill in Virginia Beach. And the 21st annual Holly Ball is held. The two events raised $150,000 for Children's Hospital.
Reorganizing for the Future
1984 Members of the NCUKD create Children's Health System through corporate reorganization.
1985 The CHKD Surgery Center opens, thus ending the long dependence on Norfolk General Hospital for operating room services.
1986 The first CHKD Thrift Store is opened by the Norfolk City Union with the motto: "Everything we sell helps make another child well."
Breaking New Ground
1991 Ground is broken on the latest hospital expansion, and NCUKD announces the lead pledge of $2 million to the $10 million building fund.
1992 CHKD and Eastern Virginia Medical School jointly establish the Center for Pediatric Research.
1993 With 11 CHKD Thrift Stores, several major fund-raising projects and scores of Circle projects, the NCUKD contributes $900,000 to the hospital, more than the combined budgets of the first 22 years of its history.
1994 The dedication and opening of the expanded hospital takes place. The new state-of-the-art facility has expanded outpatient offerings and the region's first pediatric emergency center.
1996 The Norfolk City Union of The King's Daughters celebrates 100 years of service to the children of the region.
A New Millennium
2000 Norfolk City Union of The King's Daughters raises enough money to purchase a state-of-the-art mobile transport unit for CHKD.
2001 Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters celebrates its 40th birthday!
2002-2003 The King’s Daughters designate the Major Project funds totaling $133,000 to purchase an Aquatic Therapy Pool at CHKD’s Oyster Point location.
2003–2004 The Major Project funds totaling $144,000 are designated to purchased Giraffe Omnibeds for CHKD’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
2004 CHKD opens a new Health Center at Oyster Point in Newport News, Virginia.
2004–2005 The Major Project funds totaling $158,000 are designated towards the Child Abuse Center and Nursing Externship Endowment funds. This completed our 5-year commitment of $500,000.
2005–2006 The Tour de Cuisine is now an annual event and one of The King’s Daughters’ major projects. This year the tour was held in the Edgewater neighborhood of Norfolk raising $35,000.
2006-2007 The King’s Daughters close out their fiscal year on a very impressive note with a donation of $850,000 for CHKD. The RunWalk for the Kids becomes an annual event with over 800 participants and raising a total of $50,000.
2007-2008 The 25th Annual Holly Festival of Trees was held at the Portsmouth Renaissance Hotel. This event raised over $110,000, the highest amount raised from a single Major Project.
2008-2009 A significant operating change took place this fiscal year. The King’s Daughters no longer receives Corporate Support/funding from CHKD. For the first time, our annual donation to CHKD is a true reflection of our fundraising event efforts. Additionally, The King’s Daughters support the new CHKD Virginia Beach Health and Surgery Center with a pledge of $250,000 over 5 years beginning in the 2009-2010 fiscal year.
2009–2010 Our well established Facebook fan page and cause page reach over 4,300 people online.
2010–2011 The King’s Daughters pledged $150,000 toward the purchase of an Aquatic Therapy Pool for CHKD’s newest location; the Chesapeake Health Center at Oakbrooke.
2011–2012 The 7th Annual RunWalk for the Kids, now held at Town Point Park, raised $104,00 and had nearly 3,000 participants.
2012–2013 The King’s Daughters host the 50th and final Holly Ball, along with the 30th and final Holly Festival of Trees. The combined income of these two major projects raise $196,000 in support of CHKD’s Cardiac Care Program and PICU.
2013-2014 The King’s Daughters introduced a new holiday tradition, Moonlight and Mistletoe which raises $120,000 toward the $500,000 pledge to establish The King’s Daughters’ Milk Bank at CHKD. Breakfast with Santa becomes a stand-alone event raising $7,000 in its inaugural year.